Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday, Monday!

Well, the weekend was nice (but WAY too short!!!). Didn't do the work for work I had planned to do, but, hey.... got some things done around the house (family room is STILL a mess!), and got my hair done, deep conditioned, and the 'caterpillars' (otherwise known as eyebrows) whipped-- or should I say waxed-- into shape. :) BOY, did I feel (and LOOK!) better after that!!!!!!!

My friend J., who is from England but used to live here and work with me, is visiting! So, tomorrow, we and our boss (well, still my boss), and another friend/coworker, are going to have lunch tomorrow. YAY! It'll be a lot of fun!

The other J. called today, too. P. is going to visit family for Thanksgiving and she wanted to know what we might be doing (if we're going home). Since I usually do Thanksgiving for everyone, I guess I'm back on the hook this year! :) P. doesn't really like to come over to my house, because of the steps and the fact that there's not a half-bath on the floor (and I can't blame her!), so if she's here, we go to her house, and if not, it's usually here. I got out of it for two years... so, I guess it's my turn again. Hey, I don't mind. Will ask sis and partner if they want to come, too. And, J. had BETTER not be working this year!!!! But, that also means that I am going to HAVE to get the family room cleaned up!!! BLECH.

Heard this on the radio this morning, and went to see the video. EVERY mom HAS to see this! You will hurt yourself laughing!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxT5NwQUtVM

Oops! Doesn't look like it's going to link-- well, just copy and paste... it is VERY DEFINITELY WORTH IT!!!!!!

And, on the not so light side, here's a video of a police officer arresting a 15-year-old girl... a girl who resisted arrest and then bit him. What do you think? Do you think it was justified or not? I'll wait a while and then post what I think about it.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6414


I still can't get over George Bush vetoing the SCHIPS bill.... I really can't. This program has been a GODSEND for a lot of my kids' families. I went to graduate school with a girl who had had to give up her job while raising her son because she simply could NOT afford to be without insurance and she couldn't work and get medicaid and her job didn't include benefits. If she'd had something like this when she was raising him, it would have allowed her to work instead of having to be on welfare. I certainly think it would be much cheaper in the long run to provide preventive care than ER care when it gets dicey, or having a child die (as did a 12-year-old last year) from an infected tooth (which became septic), because his mother AND social worker, try as they might, could not get an appt. with a dentist who would accept medicaid. Not only was it more expensive financially to treat that child for sepsis, he lost his life...... this is INEXCUSABLE, in my opinion, in this country. I think that Massachusetts has the right idea, however. I'm not convinced that single-payer is the right way to go. I think requiring insurance, and providing assistance in paying the premiums, is a better option. The thing is that right now we pay more than almost any industrialized (or should I say, post-industrial) country in the world, and it doesn't seem to be providing better care. We are 41st in life expectancy. I think that says a LOT about our focus on treating illness instead of preventing it. In any case, children should NEVER be without health care.... it is better for ALL of us if our children are healthy.

No comments: