Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Official

I'd been hoping this wouldn't happen, but it has. The National Board has asked for a strike authorization vote, and they will be sending out the ballots soon (the last I heard, they don't have a date for that yet). I am VERY disappointed in Unite for Strength. I mean, I know they formed and ran on the platform of returning to bargaining with AFTRA, but come on, people! You ran and you WON! YOU'RE the governing 'party' now.... to have absolutely NO public statement or comment on the possibility of a strike when the Negotiating Committee gave you back that right and recommended it? I have a REAL problem with that.

Anyway, I have no idea how I would vote if they sent out the ballots..... my guess is they think they can get the 75% vote or they wouldn't have announced it publicly. I guess we'll have to wait and see.... seems like that's all we're doing-- waiting to see what will happen. NOT a good feeling.... not a good feeling at all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The strike is what Membership First has always wanted. They still dominate and control all of the important SAG committees and apparatus because although UFS made some gains, they do not yet have the majority on the Hollywood Division Board. It takes another successful election cycle (Summer '09). A strike at this time will sink SAG. So save SAG and vote NO. NO ONE has a good feeling about all this - so you're not alone.

Actorgirl said...

Thanks for your input. I had some high hopes for the UFS crew. However, it has distressed me that since the election, they have not had any comments at all about any of the (very serious) governing issues, or contract issues. I know they don't have a majority, but they also so far haven't given me any reason to vote for their candidates in the next election.

I hear you about a strike sinking SAG. I ALSO hear (and see) the blatant product promotion, which could cause many to lose out on roles and forces us to become unpaid spokespeople. I ALSO hear what they plan to do with new media, and just reading the AMPTP's proposals gives me chills. OTOH, though I agree with a lot of what Rosenberg has said over the last few months, I also feel that he is often too rigid and too extreme.

But, you're right-- I don't know anyone who has a good feeling about this.... at all. I guess it is nice to know that it's not just me, and I'm not being overly pessimistic or paranoid.